Independent Careers Advice
The Careers Department in Harrogate Grammar School works closely in partnership with local company Kookaburra Associates Ltd., in delivering quality assured careers information, advice and guidance services across all year groups. Personalised support is provided alongside The Big Picture Programme which enables students to access independent, impartial guidance.
Careers Adviser based in school is Mrs Tunstall who is registered member of Career Development Institute.
Kookaburra Associates Ltd., holds Matrix quality standard for information, advice and guidance services: kookaburra-associates.com
The Careers Adviser provides support at Harrogate Grammar Support in the following ways:
- All Year 11 students complete a careers questionnaire and are offered an individual interview with an independent Careers Adviser to discuss further study options. A written summary of the discussion is provided.
- Introductory assembly talks delivered to Years 9-11
- Available at parents evenings, including Options choice evenings
- Support provided at the annual Careers Fair
- Links developed with employers and keeping students informed about local and national opportunities
- Presentations delivered to Sixth Form students on specific topics
- Sixth Form students are offered individual interviews or can self-refer
- Careers Adviser available for support within the Learning Resource Centre on Wednesday lunchtimes
- Specific list of websites provided to support students research, including overseas work and study
- Help to advise students on using resources within the Learning Resource Centre when conducting research
- Advocating for and supporting students in realising their potential and achieving their aims
- Evaluation of delivery by gaining regular feedback from students
- Constantly exploring new and innovative ways to approach career planning